Friday, September 5, 2008

The video transcoding nightmare


















N608 MP3/MP4 Player


Recently I got a mp3 player ( I got it for free and its a cheap mp3 player that can also play videos)
So yeah, i'm using this one for now for a couple of months as a short term replacement until probably after my birthday in November when i'll probably buy a player from iaudio.

But anways here's where I got it from. Its a very reasonable price, and since I got it for free...nothing beats that price. ;) But yeah the player features:
- Built-in 1GB Flash Memory
- Digital FM Tuner
- Plays MP4/Pictures/eBook/Tetris
- 1.3MPixel Digital Camera
- Records Voice
- MiniSD Memory Card Expansion Slot (up to 2gig cards)
- Touch Screen
- 320x240 screen resolution

So its a pretty decent mp3 player, but for the past two/three days I've been frustrated with trying to convert a video into the proper format. I spent a ton of times trying every format. Everything I tried gave me a "file format error." Finally I found out it can play a video with the video in xvid and the audio in mp2 with the container being .avi. The only problem was the software I was using had the audio off by several seconds. This was every time i tried converting something it would be off by about 5 seconds. So finally last night i discovered the software that was built for these Rockchip players. viDrop, a free open source video converting tool. It uses a graphical user interface for you to set up how you want to transcode and then uses the command line in windows to transcode.


So the final settings that I used for transcoding are:








For the FPS I set it at 20 but you can play around with that, i think it could be capable of a little higher, but you probably won't notice a difference. But things like the Width, Height, and Codec (for audio and video) have to be the same for it to work on the player. You can mess around with the FPS and the video and audio bitrates, along with the resize method and other settings if you want.







I hope this can help anyone that is having the same problem I was having with video encoding for this player.


viDrop Download




No comments: